Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Subway and Scooters

So, I know what it's like to be hungry, but I can't say I've ever been as hungry as this poor girl I saw today at the stoplight.
We were both in the left-turning lanes. It had already been a pretty long wait, and we were probably going to be waiting longer too. She was driving a pink scooter. After she came to a complete stop beside me, her little Subway bag - hanging from the handle bar - swung temptingly back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. I saw her glance impatiently at the red light, and then glance longingly at her subway bag. She reached out and grabbed the bag from the bars, squoze the sandwich tenderly, smelled inside the bag, and carefully hung it back on the bars.
She let out a long sigh, muttered some complaint about the slow traffic, and then gazed lovingly at her sandwich again.
I was on the phone with a friend, and while he was trying to tell me something about his room mate locking him out of the house --- I was totally consumed in spectating the scooter girl.
"There's a girl next to me at the light and she's dying to eat her Subway."
"So anyway," he said "I told my room mate to leave the door unlocked."
Me: "She just smelled her sandwhich and hung it back on the bars."
Him: "But then when I got home, the door was locked. I tried calling him, but..."

His voice faded to a stream of meaningless sound as I watched what Scooter Girl did next:
After one last stare down at the red light, she dove into the bag; plopped the sandwhich in her lap; tore the paper wrapping aside; and nearly had it to her lips when BING, the light turned green.

Me: " HA HA ha. I really wish you could see this girl!"
Him: "So there I was...standing on my porch... totally annoyed..."

Just as fast as she had stripped the paper wrapping off the sandwich, she scrambled to wrap it back up - losing her patience and her lettuce all at once. Finally she gave up with trying to wrap it, and just clenched it between her thighs.
Using just one hand to steer and the other to hold her sandwich down, she was off to a REALLY wobbly start. She swerved accross my lane and back over to the other side of hers, hardly gaining control.

Me: "SHE'S GONNA DIE!" I cried for fear of her life.
Him: "I was trying to climb through my window," pause...silence... "WHO'S GONNA DIE?" He demanded, greatly perplexed.

I laughed and laughed as Scooter Girl and I both made it safely through the intersection, and savored that image of her in my rear-view mirror until she was no longer in sight. It was great! I think I needed that laugh as much as she needed her Subway.

1 comment:

  1. Bethany! I JUST FOUND YOUR BLOG! This might be one of the funniest stories ever...I have to call Natalie and tell her to start stalking you and Annie, I LOVE LOVED IT! I hope your doing good, I miss you!:)

    ReplyDelete