Saturday, November 14, 2009

the name of my blog

When I was living in Minnesota, we had a devotional, and a guy who served his mission in Peru shared this story. I have thought about it many times since, and it's actually where I got the name of my blog:

The streets of Lima, Peru are crowded and loud. The sidewalks are littered with venders and cars are honking at every corner. The masses of people make it nearly impossible to keep track of your companion in the crowd.
The country is much different. It's quiet. And people have their own space and their own peace in the comfort of their humble homes. The doors are nothing but a hand-made blanket, draping over the entrance.
The Peruvians have created a unique system of communication that they use in both the noisy city and the silent countryside. Each family (and sometimes groups of close friends) will invent a little tune that they whistle to recognize each other.

The missionary telling the story said that one time he and his companion were in the city and they saw a little girl run past them, grab a little bucket, turn it over, and stand on top of it. She surveyed her surroundings, trying to locate her mom or dad, and when she could not see them anywhere, she whistled their family tune. She did it a few times, and before long her dad appeared behind her and lifted her off the bucket. He heard the whistle and came.

He also told of a time when him and his companion were walking in the country-side when they heard a man whistle a cheerful tune behind them. Only two seconds later the missionaries saw four little children run through their blanket doorway to their father (the man who whistled) who was on his way home from work. They heard the whistle and came.

What I loved the most about this story is how it applies to us in terms of being in tune to the spirit. Whether in moments of chaos or of peace, we can can recognize the familiar sound of the voice of the Holy Ghost and gain direction from it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey BETH!!! I finally found your blog!! I love it. Yes, CUTE!

    ReplyDelete